Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Infinity Pool


When the so-called "secret" infinity pool started getting publicity, I quickly added it to my to-do list. I totally fell for that "secret" chunk of verbal fishing bait, rose to the challenge, or lack thereof, and the rest is history. It's in a very gorgeous part of Wales, with a phenomenal view, and even though it deviates largely from my usual crazy antics, I just felt like I needed to see it for myself and do a piece on it.

 
Really its resemblance to an infinity pool is entirely coincidental. It was constructed in 2016 to be a sort of weir as part of a green hydro-electric scheme by a chap called Wyn Mostyn Jones. But little did he know, his little project would become something of a sensation. 

It's not clear who discovered the pool and first put it online, but soon stories of the "secret infinity pool" that "only a few know about" started doing the rounds on the internet. Needless to say, soon hundreds of people had been there, making its status as a secret rapidly go from somewhat questionable to outright laughable.


 
In regards to my own thoughts on the pool, it sure is cute! It makes for a fun chillout spot, even for people who don't want to go in, and the photos seriously don't do the view justice. It's incredibly nice up here. As far as its secrecy goes, there really isn't any. Anyone who can't find this place in 2023, in an era where Google is literally older than some adults, is either profoundly lazy or mentally handicapped, but then I say that about just about every place I cover on the blog. I honestly don't understand why my inbox is such a cesspit of people asking me where things are and throwing tantrums when I don't respond. As an urbexer, I kinda know what it's like to be an attractive woman on a dating app now.
 
The pool is sufficiently deep enough that I could sit in it with the water level up to my shoulders, which was nice once I'd gotten used to the fact that it was fucking freezing. It was apparently deeper when it was first constructed, but after so many years, rainfall has just caused loads of sediment to reduce that somewhat. You could drown someone in it, sure, but can you swim in it? No.
 
But there is a catch that I didn't initially know about.
 

When the pool first started gaining publicity, Wyn Mostyn Jones said that he was cool with it, as long as people respected it, took their litter home, and didn't have any late night parties. 
But this is the human race we're talking about. A species of primate renowned for being utterly shit, so the online publicity did bring about a tidal wave of shittery, and that did start to eat away at him a bit. Allegedly during the first Covid lockdown there was pretty much a queue going up the mountain from the nearest road.
 
Wyn Mostyn Jones has since passed away, and his family have since been pretty vocal about how they want everyone to stop swimming in the pool. They say that this water runs down the mountain from the pool and serves as the entire water supply to their house.
 
And that puts me in an awkward position, because I didn't know about that. I'm not going to be all finger-wagging holier-than-thou about people taking a dip, because I totally did it. The thing is, I didn't know it was the homes entire water supply, and neither do many people. It's advertised online by the mainstream media as a "secret infinity pool," and many people are going to take that at face value. I sure did. I research places after my visit. In this case it's backfired somewhat.

 
So we fucked up a bit. Presumably they filter or clean the natural water, but that's not the point. People have drank and bathed in water that has touched my genitals and I feel pretty bad for it.
 
But having said that, we aren't the first and we won't be the last. I do think the toothpaste is well and truly out of the tube on this one. The only way they'll stop people entering the pool is if they cover it up somehow. Allegedly they have looked into some sort of grate, but the cost of such things are holding them back for the time being.
 
 
So to summarise, do as I say, not as I do. This place is very tranquil, and it offers a phenomenal view, but if this is someones drinking water then I think it's best if people stay out of it.
The downside to this statement is, I have no power or influence. I'm just a guy with a blog. 
 
Having said that if you are in Wales and fancy great views and a swim then there are thousands of genuine areas that are free and fun, that don't involve people guzzling your H2O Nobcheese cocktails, so why focus on what is essentially a glorified water feature in a backyard? 

My next blogs will be a rooftop photoshoot and then I'll be looking at some military ruins where we found two dead horses... that should be fun! 
In the meantime, social media is notoriously shite, algorithmically speaking, but it does remain the best way of staying up to date with my blogs. The algorithmic hellscapes to choose from are Instagram, Facebook, Vero, Reddit, and my personal least favourites, Twitter and Threads
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment