Sunday, September 27, 2020

Big Abandoned Barracks

 (Disclaimer: Joking aside, I fully understand the risks/dangers involved in these adventures and do so in the full knowledge of what could happen. I don't encourage or condone and I accept no responsibility for anyone else following in my footsteps. Under UK law, trespass without force is a civil offence. I never break into a place, I never photograph a place that is currently occupied, as this would be morally wrong and intrusive, I never take any items and I never cause any damage, as such no criminal offences have been committed in the making of this blog. I will not disclose location or means of entryI leave the building as I find it and only enter to take photographs for my own pleasure and to document the building.


Today I'm talking about this awesome military barracks that I just couldn't resist visiting. I've had a bit of a troubling time with publishing it though, and that is because blogger has done what all social media is prone to doing on occasion, and that is to look at a perfectly good website that works perfectly fine, and say "It's not broken. Let's fix it anyway."

They say that stress causes premature signs of aging, so navigating the new blogger interface must make me look about ninety now. I was going to make a list of all the things that are more fun to do than fumble my way through it, but when that list ended up including "Castrating myself with a cheese grater" I decided it was probably a waste of time.

But less moaning over things that don't really matter that I can't do anything about! This isn't the letters section of the Daily Mail! It's an adventure blog! So let's get to it!

I actually love this location, but it consists of six gigantic buildings, each three floors high, and each identical in layout, so it's going to get a tiny bit repetitive. But as is often the case, the chaotic aftermath of the places abandonment has added unique character to what was once military uniformity. History has given each building its own character. And perhaps my favourite aspect is that each building varies in its means of access. Sometimes the ground floor is just open, and other times one needs to climb quite precariously to get in. Not everyone can climb, so some of the people who have been here will only see the interior of some of the buildings. Did I make it in to all of them? What a silly question.

Needless to say, there's a lot of graffiti in this place, and wall scrawlers tend to get a tad free spirited with their expression. So if you are distressed by rude words and badly drawn genitalia, then quite frankly I wonder why you're on the internet at all, but while I can't tell anyone what to do, I will advise that maybe this isn't the site for you. Nobody is forcing you to be here.  

Having said that, let's check out Building One!

 Building One was perhaps the easiest to get into. The ground floor consists of this central room with a single fireplace in the corner, with a door leading to a stairway and a long hall sprawling in each direction, each to two large rooms, with a bunch of smaller rooms on the way.

The upper floor layouts are identical, minus the fireplace room. Each floor has the two large rooms at the end of each hallway, and two bathrooms per floor. I don't know what each room would have been used for, but it would definitely be cool to see old photos, if any exist.

There's a sign on the stairway that reads "FP no 1/G." I'm not sure what the letters stand for, but the number changes consistently with whatever floor the sign happens to be on, so it's definitely some means of labeling each floor.


Each floor had two bathrooms, and as you can see, they consist of a single urinal. In this one it's right next to the shower, although this does vary in the upper floors.


 


As I approached the barracks, I actually stopped to chat with one of the folks who live nearby. He told me that this barracks attracts three types of people: Those who come here to take pictures, those that come here at night to get creeped out, and those who come here to do drugs and smash the place. He told me that the locals only really take issue with the drugs and vandalism, so as long as I kept my camera visible, nobody passing would give me any trouble.

He also shared with me some of the recent history of the place. Apparently a seventh building once stood nearby, which was the barracks cafeteria. Back then, he says, the barracks was still fully furnished, and none of these rooms were empty. However the cafeteria suffered an arson attack, and realising that the big abandoned barracks was attracting attention, the owners carried out a massive removal of everything in the remaining six buildings. All that happened about a decade ago.

I've not seen any urbex "reports" showing the barracks as it was fully furnished, but I have seen a rare few that mourn the loss of the cafeteria, so it was clearly known to the urbex community even back then.

 

 

As for the less recent history of the place, this site started out pretty gigantic, even in comparison to what still stands. The majority of it made way for an industrial estate. Back in 1946, it was a vehicle depot, but I'm told that it originally only really consisted of little more than a field full of army surplus vehicles. The buildings came later. 

These six, and presumably their now lost cafeteria, were all built in 1957 and were used by the Royal Army Ordnance Corps. They dealt with the supply and repair of weapons, ammo, and armoured vehicles, and also sometimes more minor functions like clothing and laundry. So they were pretty damn important. There was, in the 1960s, a reorganisation of the British army known as "The Mcleod reorganisation," and this apparently put the RAOC in charge of petroleum and rations too.

However from what I can tell, this place was primarily for vehicles. One of the more notable vehicles to be kept here was the militarys fleet of "Green Goddesses," which were built between 1953 and 1956 for the auxiliary fire service, and designed to resemble the military Bedford truck.

Someone has decided that exiting the rooms back into the hallway was too boring, and not a sufficient display of masculinity, so on this floor at least, one can traverse the rooms through this hole, a perfect height for anyone with a Napoleon complex.


 It's all pretty samey, for now.

The rooms are bland, and quite surprisingly so given the ease of accessibility. In all honesty, it was the photos of graffiti in this place that lured me here, reminding me of that Soviet tank barracks that I explored last year. And yet here are some pretty big rooms that the local youths have done absolutely nothing with.



While researching this place, I came across the story of the chap who was base commander from 1950 til 1953, predating the construction of these particular buildings. He apparently lived in a farm house nearby, with his wife who he met while serving as a Captain in the British Army of The Rhine, who managed the occupation and defense of allied-occupied Germany after the war. 

The farm has since been burned down, but his son, the source of this particular story did mention that there were underground portions of this complex. The chap who spoke to me on my approach also said that he showed some urban explorers the tunnel entrance at one point, but that they were unable to go inside due to it all being flooded. 

Now that does sound intriguing. 


Well, with the ground floor rather dull, it was time to ascend.

Here on the middle floor, the place would hopefully develop a little more character. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful example of 1950s architecture, particularly on these stairs, but I think that of the six buildings this one might, oddly, be the most well preserved.


This bathrooms a little more trashed than the last one, but as you can see, it's pretty samey.

You can see there's a bath next to these cubicles too.

The Royal Army Ordnance Corps amalgamated with other divisions in to the Royal Logistics Corps in 1993, but from what I understand, they'd stopped using these buildings long before that. I've heard varying dates but it seems that in 1970 it was handed over to the Territorial Army who trained here for about a decade before the barracks closed for good. It was left as it was, fully furnished, until the cafeteria burned down.

I guess these rooms are useful for anyone who wants to know what it's like to be the braincell of someone who wears their face mask below the nose.


Sure is spacious in here.
 

 

The middle floors second toilet is actually in better condition, and yet you'd swear they were the same room.


At least in this room nature is starting to creep back in. It's pretty cool.


Finally, on the back of one large room, I found some reading material.


It's... pretty articulate for the wall scrawlings of an abandoned place, but nevertheless, it's not what I was expecting. I've seen some glorious graffiti pictures from this place, and I'd yet to see any of it in person.

Still, there's some artistic attempt, and what I assume is the mockery of some form of security. "Fatty" wasn't around now.

Ah, this makes a lovely change, finding boobs before penis when it comes to graffiti. That's like finding a unicorn, or a care worker on a decent wage. But that's it for the middle floor. It was time to head upstairs...



The upper floor definitely seems to have taken the attention of the vandals.


Wow, I guess "Fatty" really wanted a bath.

Someone's smashed the urinal too. 

But finally, I found what I was looking for: Actual art.

Now I understand that graffiti isn't for everyone. However, if it's creative and artistic, or funny, then I actually like it, and let's be honest, the army aren't going to need this wall again. This isn't as amazing as some of the stuff I saw in Germany, but I still think it's cool.


The grafffiti is signed "Corpse" and they seem to like doing creepy/morbid faces, and the occasional attractive woman.


This one looks eerily like someone I used to work with.


This girls been on this wall since 2013.




Some of the smaller rooms also have graffiti, but it all seems to be your standard teenage scribbles.


Another pretty smashed bathroom.


This urinal is also smashed. I guess someone has anger issues and took it out on this place.

Now this room delighted me. It didn't just have graffiti in it, but an entire goddamn novel!


It was a bit of a struggle to get it all in one shot, but it's a first person narative, telling of someone and their children who are set upon, along with the nearby city, by some kind of unseen entity or thing, but how in spite of being flattened and hurt to the point that they should be dead, the narator is still somehow conscious and aware of everything. There's an e-mail address in the corner, where this story is signed "Scott 2005." I messaged them... it's not a valid e-mail address! Which is a shame, really, because I'm actually rather intrigued. 

It's also nice to see someone put the entire wall to use.


This is a bit more boring, but it's the same writing. "Shit collects in valleys."

I decided to google that, and I found something rather exciting! "Shit Collects in Valleys" isn't, as I feared, an erotic novel, but an album by a chap called Scott Dyke. He's unsigned, and I can't actually find his music anywhere. What I can find is the album cover and track listing.


I think, given some of the titles, that the scrawling on the other wall might be lyrics, although it doesn't seem particularly song-like, although it does have some poetic flavourings. 

I'm kinda sad that I can't find any of it online. It's actually something that really plays on my mind, to think that thousands upon thousands of musicians and artists have existed, and we'll never hear any of their stuff because the only people we hear are the ones who make it famous. And you might say that if they were any good, they would have made it famous, but the truth is a lot of the stuff that plays on the radio makes me wish my parents were anti-vaxxers so that I hadn't lived long enough to hear it. Fame doesn't necessarily equate to talent, and personally I have a soft spot for the little musicians who play in bars and create a whole unique atmosphere that cannot be replicated. The stuff on the radio is garbage. The internets changed things somewhat, but even so, there's still so much that has existed that nobody will ever hear again. 

Anyway, thats Building One out of the way! It does offer some views from the top floor though.

That's Building Three in the foreground, with Building Four and Five behind it. That gives a good idea of just how big this area is.

Meanwhile, I'll be heading over to this one next.

To summarise, Building Number 1 started off bland, but the top floor was alright. I discovered a graffiti artist whose work predates my visit by about six years, and a musician whose work I'll never hear. 

Onto Building Two!

Building Two was only accessible via an upstairs window, so it took a bit of a scramble. Nevertheless we'll start from the ground floor, and see if its lack of ease of access has done anything to preserve it. Straightaway, I'm not particularly hopeful due to the graffiti. Someone has drawn fire next to the fireplace, which is odd.





It's all pretty samey but the yellow and blue colour scheme does raise my eyebrows. It's not exactly evocative of a military base, is it?



I'm quite happy that there's still interior bars on the windows. These were lacking in the previous building.



The toilets are absolutely trashed, so I guess the challenging means of entry hasn't protected it. Still, it felt a lot more private than the previous building. Who could find me here?



As before, the ground floor wasn't particularly exciting. If anything, this place has more pointless graffiti. What's with these scribbles? Was someone learning how to write?

Upstairs, I hoped things would be a little different.



I gotta admit, I like this bath graffiti. I have no idea what that says, but I like the way it drips down into the bath tub.

Here's the toilet, still in better condition than the toilets in some pubs and clubs.


To my delight, someone with actual talent has decided to paint these walls. And this art will only be seen by people who can make the climb, which somehow makes it even more enjoyable.

There's also an architectural variation, setting this building apart from the army uniformity of the others. At the back of this room appears to be a serving hatch. Was this an eating area?



Here's the room with the interior window that looks like an old serving hatch. It doesn't look like a kitchen would have been here, so why are the rooms connected in such a way?

This room is also connected to another, but not in the same way. I do love nature reaching in though.



As before, the bathroom is noticably more trashed.


Here's a rather... disproportionate doodle of a woman.

Corpse has been here too, but this face seems incomplete. I like how they've incorporated the wall features into it though.

Check this out! This is great. 


It was time to go up to the top floor.

The handrail is less-intact up here. I wonder if the level of vandalism is what led to it being secured more so than the other buildings.





I guess Corpse also does vague outlines of depressed people. Perhaps Corpse was feeling depressed...

The bathroom up here is pretty depressing. I wonder where the bath tub went.



This particular piece is pretty cool.


These three rooms have been joined together. I'm not sure why someone would go through the effort of smashing these walls. At the back, it looks like there's a pirate, and someone has smashed out his one good eye, and someone else seems to have helped him out by drawing a replacement eye over his eyepatch.









There's a whole load of creepy faces here.


In this room, someone has drawn birds.


Thats it for Building 2. To summarise, it's got superior graffiti in the lower floors, but somehow the first building, which is more easily accessed, is better preserved. It's a bit of a shame.

From here we can see Building One.

And over there is Building Three, Four and Six. I'll be heading over to Building Three next...

Building Three was accessible on the ground floor, but the window in question was pretty awkward way, making it a bit of a scramble into the bathroom. As you can see, it has a standard layout, but as I would find, this one seems to be where the action is.

Well this bathroom is fucked.






So this building, so far, as been quite bleak on the ground floor. Time to head upstairs!


As you can see, the graffiti in this building is less artsy, more my-parents-were-siblings.


Still, I have to admit, turning the floor sign into a Mr Men character did make me chuckle. But a broken clock is right twice a day and the graffiti on this floor is still shit.


"Sex is Good. Sex is a sin. So get stuck in."

What was the point in writing that? 

First off, sex isn't a sin. One of the first things God said to the creatures of Earth, humans included, was "Go forth and multiply." Not "Hello," or "How are you," or "Sorry, Adam, for putting your g-spot in your bottom." Not even a list of do's and don'ts. Think how many lives God would have saved if he'd said "Cook the chicken before you eat it." But no, God just makes life and just tells them to go off and bonk. The guys a voyeur. Have you seen the bible? It's like Fifty Shades of Jesus.

So the graffiti is pointless, and if anyone wants me I'll berunning from a lynch mob with flaming torches.



Well, at least the folks who drew the graffiti are self aware.




It's unusual that one singular complex, albeit with six buildings, would have such a varying character, depending on where the vandals go. It's almost like they got together and allocated each other a building. The kids got this one. The guys who wanted to make cool-looking but unreadable tags got the last building. Scott Dyke got the first building, and used it to promote his album that I can't even find online. 

The repetition of the layout was starting to grate. Why do I have to be such a damn completionist? 

The truth is, if I'd left even one floor of these buildings unexplored, I'd go home wondering if I'd missed something awesome.



I'm going to assume the perpetrators in this building were the local kids, given their hatred for Mr Walsh, who is probably a school teacher. Of course, one might sneer at my powers of deduction and say "Isn't it obvious that this is the work of children, even without a teacher being mentioned?"

And I'm goin to remind you that a bald middle aged manlet livestreamed himself trashing a gorgeous abandoned hotel up in Cheshire. For some reason middle aged men tend to be the shittest people out there when it comes to urbex, which is awful to say because I hate generalisations, but I am noticing a pattern here. I think it's something to do to with a mid-life crisis.

Personally I'm a few decades off from my mid-life crisis, but rather than follow the trend and turn into an absolute wazzock, I've decided that my mid-life crisis should be a drug-induced orgy, and you're all invited. Unless we're related. This isn't Telford.

But I digress.



We're finally at the top floor of Building Three, and it's actually quite pretty.



Look at this bizarre thing. Is that a Salad Fingers character? Okay, so obviously we're reaching the redemption arc of Building Three. It's getting interesting now.


Corpse has been in the bathroom, and drawn what resembles Morty Smith, if he was painted by Roman Dirge. The urinal has been labeled too.





This one looks like Summer! Is Corpse a Rick & Morty fan, or am I just interpreting it that way?





I'm not sure why the wall to the baths have been repestedly smashed, but it seems to be a recurring theme.



From up here we've got some pretty good views of the last two buildings.

So, Building Three is done. It was perhaps the worst one so far, apart from the works of Corpse on the top floor. At least it can't get any worse, right?

Onto Building Four!


There's a lot of teenage graffiti on the ground floor of this one, which is a pretty ominous indicator of what's to come.


However, I really like these rooms. They seem to be pretty well preserved, and retain a military vibe. There's bars on the windows still.




Well, I guess this person was having a seizure while holding their spray paint.

For the most part it's looking fairly positive so far. Moving upstairs, someone has drawn arrows leading to the top floor. I'm ignoring them for the time being, but hopefully it's leading to something nice.





Ah, brilliant! It looks like we've got the return of Scott Dyke and his weird essays. Having something to read might take the edge off some of the lesser wall scrawlings. This tells of Joseph, who was sleeping behind the breakfast bar for some reason and woke up to hear people gasping for air and squealing. 

Does this tie in to what else was written, or does Scott just have a thing for mysterious unseen tragedies?


There's some pretty cool art in this room too.





There's some kind of frame in this room, which is so far the only thing thats actually been left behind in tbis entire empty complex. I'm not sure what it actually ws though.



So the graffiti actually tells me to go upstairs and wishes me luck. This means something absolutely terrible must be up there. Collapsed ceiling? Rotten floor? Spice Girls reunion? What could it be?


The only way to find out is to go up.



What's interesting is that there's actually been some legitimate attempts to barricade the top floor. It hasn't worked, obviously. But perhaps that "Good luck" was indicative of a time when the fence was properly secure and quite challenging to get past. But why this building? At some point the people who secured the buildings exterior decided to also drag these fences up here to stop people getting to the top floor, for safety purposes given the potential drop, but it's weird that they did it to this building and not the others.

This wall was signed by Corpse but was then painted over by what looks like Scott Dykes writing, but the same paint also goes into the kind of graffiti vulgarity that I'd like to think is beneath him, but who knows? The Idle Singer of an Empty Day appears to be a reference to the poet William Morris, and his book, The Earthly Paradise.

I wonder if any of his other wall scrawlings are in fact extracts from this book.



Okay, it's become quite obvious what terrible thing that "good luck" graffiti downstairs was alluding to. The top floor is the site of what I assume is someones mental breakdown. This person seems to have woken up one day and decided "my life is terrible" and then decided to vent their frustration with lots of orange paint. Let's take a look and see if we can get an idea of what's got Orange Paint Person so mad

Here, they express their desire to fornicate with JC. 

Seemingly standing between Orange Paint Person and their anics with JC are Ema and George, who our author is quite adamant that they're gojng to kill, adding "They think they R hard" to indicate that these two have been challenging our author for some time.

Corpse, meaninwhle, turns out to be either a conspiracy theorist, a fan of Orwell, or a fan of terrible TV.

 

 




There seems to be some more poetry by that Scott guy here, but it fades out towards the bottom, so we'll never know what's so bad about those dastardly snakes.




Orange Paint Person is back, and they've drawn a well-endowed stick man next to the word "Faf."

Someone has also drawn over the stick mans penis with another penis for some reason. Anyway, in case nobody knows, FAF probably means Fit as Fuck, or Funny as Fuck, both of which are probably Orange Paint Person referring to their art attack next to it. They certainly aren't referring to themselves.

They've done a cute Yin and Yang symbol though, to reassure us that they have depth, and felato instructions to reassure us that they have enough knowledge to satisfy the afore mentioned JC.


Orange Paint Person has also designated the cupboard the "Torture Fire Room."

I guess this is where they plan on taking George and Ema.

But Orange Paint Person has changed their mind by declaring their desire to fornicate with someone other than JC. This is particularly funny because I'm sure it's meant to be past tense "Fucked," but Orange Paint Person clearly can't spell, so what we're left with is some very specific instructions. Orange Paint Person wants to be fucked by Si, but only in this precise location.

It seems a bit of a weird spot, right next to the door in the smallest room, but who am I to judge?


Curiously, this graffiti by Corpse is dated 2018 which means that they are a recurring visitor.


There's some more ramblings from Scott Dyke here too. This is all pretty cool. Te first piecelooks like some kind of break up, and the other tells of meeting a man trapped in a wall, and chatting nonsense to him instead of helping him.

Is it just me or is Corpse not delivering like they used to?


Orange Paint Person has one last say, announcing their desire for Toni to die. 

I wonder if these people actually come here to see all this, and know the context behind it. It' seems a bit silly, ranting hatred to someone on the wall of an abandoned barracks.


I wondered at first if this was Scott advertising another alum, but upon googling it, all I got was legal advice for defamation. However, this room is covered in the guys poetic ramblings.


I think he might be describing cyanide.




From Building Four, here's a shot looking back at Building Three, and a final shot looking over at Building Six.

For some reason I didn't take one of Building Five, but that's okay, we're heading there next...






I have a soft spot for people who write responses to "edgy" graffiti. In this case, someone has written "I know who you are," and someone has responded "No you don't mate."



It looks like this building has had similar attempts at fencing off the stairs. Predictably, it hasn't worked.





I love this graffiti. This is very reminiscent of the zombie stuff that I saw in the old Fokker factory in Germany. .

Unsurprisingly, of all the rooms in this complex, decorated as they are by those who clearly took breaks from calculating launch trajectories and removing temporal lobe tumours to write their wit on these walls, it's this piece of art that seems to be posted the most on sites like Facebook and Instagram, so if you follow urban explorers on those sites, you've probably seen this graffiti before. 

And it's completely understandable. It's a nice piece of art.


"Your fear of looking stupid holds you back."

It's quite true and profiund. If only they'd written in better English and not annoying text abbreviations. They'd be a great guru, but their inability to spell is what's holding them back.





This room varies from the standard military uniformity by having a doorway in the wall. Given that we're on the middle floor, this is a tad unusual. I assume at some point there was an exterior staircase, which makes me wonder, what was this room originally? I wish I could find a floor plan or something.

Like the evil (or possibly just misunderstood) tree graffiti, this colourful staircase font also seems to get posted online a lot. I guess Building Five is the popular one.

There's a fence at the top of the stairs too. It all seems to be an exercise in futility. Barricading the interior of a building really only makes it harder for the powers that be to know when someone comes along and breaks past it. Surely if just the exterior is barricaded, then all security has to do is glance over and know instantly whether the place has been accessed. 

Of course it doesn't look like anyone has done that in a long time.





Here's an incredibly low down glory hole. Now, I've never used one so I don't know for sure, but isn't one of the perks of a glory hole meant to be anonymity? I think this is the wrong wall for it.

This person gets turned on by broken toilets.


Hey, look! Corpse has started giving his faces back stories!


I know I've said it before, but I absolutely love the way that nature is reaching in.





Ah, I must be in Telford.





I like that someone has added something completely ridiculous to Scotts cryptic seriousness. 

"Lately I've been wondering what it is I'm doing... with my hoover."

Building Five didn't disappoint, but I've seen it now, and that just leaves one more.


I had high hopes for Building Six, because it's so overgrown around it, it was challenging to even get to. The ground floor windows and doors were all boarded up, which meant one had to climb to get in. It was a more challenging climb than Building Two, too, so I was excited to see what it had to offer. Even on the outside, I found something that exacerbated my hope.

It's a floor plan! Presumably it only dates back to the territorial army days, but even so, it's great to have some idea of what this building was used for. Curiously it doesn't mention the top floor.

Slipping inside, I was full of intrigue. The decay in this front room is entirely natural, without any vandalism. It's also possible to see where a noticeboard once hung on the wall.



And look! There's even the remains of a noticeboard still on one of the walls! I know it's not much but it's something! It's more than what we've seen so far!

Okay so the bathroom is still smashed. I guess there's no avoiding that.

So these rooms would have housed the "signal centre." I don't know what that means but I guess it has something to do with military communication via signals that presumably are quite integral to any miulitary operation.




This is a lovely surprise. This is the remains of the old telephone exchange! It's still here, protected from vandalism by the fact that only those that climb can get in here. That's so awesome!



Slipping upstairs to the "MI Room" and the "education centre," I found something quite intriguing. The large rooms had dividing walls made out of wood, and therefore a lot easier to smash than the other walls.


It does make me wonder if the larger rooms in the other buildings were once divided in such a way too.

Scott has been here too, but some wazzock has painted over his woirds.


So this was either the education centre or the MI room, and I have to admit, I have no idea what the MI room is. People witha  military background might be able to fill me in. As for the education centre, that's quite self explanatory.





JOSH IS GAY

Well, they certainly made the most out of the available space.



These cryptic ramblings definitely are the highlight of the location.





Some edgy retard got the swastika backwards.



It looks like there's been a fire in this particular part of the building, but that particular kind of decay, along with nature clawing its way in is all pretty visually appealing to me.


He's repeated the same verse here, whichis intriguing. He hasn't repeated himself so far. So, following a hunch I decided to google these passages, and found that these are actually song lyrics by some guy I've never heard of by Bonnie Prince Billy. You can hear the song here, because unlike Scott Dyke," Bonnie Prince Billys stuff is on the internet.

I expect, googling the other wall verses will have similar results.


There's some very faint writing in trhis room, but I can't make out all of it. The top line makes mention of Charlotte, and it appears to be some kind of story, but the writing was pretty faint and I soon gave up.



We end on something truly awful, purely because after six identical buildings, two of which I had to climb to get into during a heat wave, I'm pretty knackered. But that dastardly Scott has shown up one last time, and this time he's written a riddle. That's right, he expects us to think.

Scott , have you seen the graffiti around this place? You havent exactly picked the hub of eloquent thought processes to look for intelligent life. And I'm tired. I googled these lines to see if they were lyrics too but nothing came up. I'm just going to snap it all up anyway, because it's all pretty cool and won't be here forever.





If anyone knows what he's talking about, get in touch with your ideas. Also, if anyone finds his music online, send me a link.


To summarise this barracks, it's a shame that it's been mostly stripped of everything and left to rot, but the fact that this is just a small surviving chunk of what was once here is quite mindblowing. This place would have been gigantic back in its day. 

Whats left is apparently destined to be bulldozed to make way for eighty houses, which will probably all look the same and lack character. Not that that's much change to whatevers here currently, but there's still some interesting examples of graffiti, and actual art here, so I guess that will be the biggest loss. It probably doesn't matter to most people.

However it's important to remember that this place did matter to some people once. There are many military veterans who would have known this place in the 1950s and 1960s, and of course former members of territorial army would have fond memories of this place too. It's probably past the point of nostalgia for them. They aren't going to see these pictures and be sad that it's getting demolished. They'll be more saddened by the condition they're in now!

I am quite happy with this adventure though.

That's all I've got. I'm sorry that the formats a little screwy. That's the new blogger interface. Hopefully they'll fix it when they get a torrent of complaints from other people who are also going through this shit with me. But if social media has taught me anything, it's that the people behind it are arrogant and will rather just tell you that you're wrong, rather than actually look into anything, and that brings me to my next point- social media. You can't trust any of them, so it's important to be on all of them. Lately I've been experimenting with alternatives and now you can follow me on Reddit. As always, you can still follow me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook too.

My next blogs will be smaller than this one- a folly and a chapel. Hopefully a couple of snack bogs will help me get used to Bloggers diablogical new format.

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. Hi, really enjoyed reading this.. would you like a copy of the cd? I have some left and could send you one..
    babaskoona@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete