Saturday, August 1, 2020

Truck Graveyard

Vehicle graveyards are quite fascinating, usually because someone must have put a considerable amount of effort into procuring them, all to seemingly just leave them. In this case, a bunch of trucks are just rotting away in some mildly wooded countryside, and nobody seems to know why. How bloody fascinating! Naturally my standard methods of research are redundant in the face of such a collection. I can find out everything about the history of the area, but that won't tell me why someone put these here.

I should also probably point out that I know absolutely nothing about trucks. I'm adorably ignorant. I know that they carry things, and that I wouldn't want to be hit by one, but that's about it. I actually was struck down by a cement mixer once when I was eighteen, and nobody, not the driver, not me, and certainly not the people held up in traffic by my body sprawled out on the road, have an idea whatsoever how I was able to get up and walk that off. Perhaps I'm indestructible. Let's not put that to the test though.

So anyway, trucks aren't really my passion. I wasn't even going to come here until I heard wacky stories of some crazy person lurking around threatening people with a baseball bat, and that appealed to my sense of adventure. Could I sneak in, see it all, and then sneak out again without being bludgeoned to death? It's a win-win for me. I'm far too happy to consider suicide, but I still don't want to grow old. What a conundrum. My horrific murder is the best case scenario.

I did, at first, censor all of the number plates with dinosaur erotica, but there's only so much of that I was willing to hunt down, so in the end I settled for more subtle methods. The reason for censorship being that I don't want to take any chances with revealing the location. Incidentally if you do want to see dinosaur erotica censoring vehicle number plates, feel free to hit me up.


I approached the trucks through the trees, disturbing a myriad of wildlife as I did so. This was a good sign. If I was the one disturbing the animals then this means I'm the only human here.


I made my way around the trucks pretty cautiously, expecting to turn a corner and see the legendary chap with a baseball bat. At first every noise of something flapping in the wind made me nervous, but I started to relax as I realised that I was alone here.

Originally I did start looking up the details of the vehicles number plates, but they were far too numerous and often I simply got the same story. These vehicles all had their tax due at least as long ago as 2014, but as far back as 1995.


Likewise with the number plates, I originally started looking into the companies that these vehicles represented. I found that they came from all over. "Banwy" is a Welsh firm, and Ford Fuel Oils are based down near Bristol. I wasn't really gaining much from looking this up, apart from the knowledge that this collection has been obtained from all over the country.

Look at  nature claiming it all back though. This isn't a cherished collection. Nobody cares about all these. There doesn't seem to be any endgame, no purpose for obtaining them. They've just been hoarded and then left.




Hey cool, a bin lorry. Well I guess if there is an angry person lurking with a baseball bat, at least they have somewhere to dispose of my body.




"The future of distribution." An ironic statement, given the trucks condition.






There's a cement mixer. Another means for the baseball bat guy to dispose of my body...






Check this out! It's a prison van! This was, for me, the highlight of the visit. It's not something one comes across every day. I did wonder if it could be accessed.


Alas, the van was locked, but as you can see someone has been pretty enthusiastic about getting in!



Here's a truck for the rockstar energy drink. I've never tried it. I wonder if it tastes like reindeer piss like all the other energy drinks?





There's an Irn Bru lorry here too!










As I exited the wooded area, expecting the trucks to be a little more scarce away from the tree cover, I found that this wasn't the case. They're just scattered all over.





That's about it. There's not much in the way of a narrative, but sometimes I don't think there needs to be. It's all fairly self explanatory. It's a bunch of trucks that someone has collected and dumped here, and they're in varying levels of decay. Obviously I won't be saying where because they'll get ripped apart, stolen, and sold. It would be far more interesting to see what this place is like five years from now, when nature has had more time to consume it all.

I've got a few vehicle graveyards mapped out across Europe, of varying types. Ships, tanks, cars, etc, and many have been left for far longer than these trucks, making them beautiful examples of vehicular decay. Sadly the whole Covid-19 debacle has slowed my blog conquest of Europe, but I've still got plans.

The next blog posts will be the standard nuclear bunkers and abandoned pubs. Standardly awesome, that is. I love this shit. In the meantime, Follow my Instagram, Like my Facebook and Follow my Twitter. That's the best way to get updates.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment